Tuesday, June 16, 2015

New Background Maps Just About Done

Since the last photos I took I have gotten 5.55" of rain at my location. Although it's been spotty the lake's watershed should have gotten about the same give or take an inch. We are getting a break in the rain today so later I'm going out to check and I expect it to be close to if not fully filled. So instead of early July I should be able to start taking actual depth measurements early next week weather permitting.

So now I'm am going to have to hustle up on finishing my map layers but that is mainly the projected depth layer which I am just about done with, the shoreline (0ft) definition layer and data for the depth mapping programs and the layer with all the natural and man made structure. Only the shoreline layer is necessary for me to start and it is derived from the projected depth layer and should go fairly quickly.

Here are some examples of the new map layers. First up the LIDAR base


Then I added the 2014 photo layer on top with 25% transparency


Here it is with the full 2ft contour overlay which was derived from the LIDAR layer (Not by me, IA state employees)


And this one shows it with the edited contour file for lake only


Here is a zoomed in photo. You can see where they changed some things for the dam and boat ramp since the LIDAR data was taken (2008-2010)


Here is a succession of maps off the lower 2 miles of the lake taken in 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2014 showing the changes made.






That's it for now. I'll post the photos I take today and give a report on lake level later in the week.

No comments: